Arugula is an impressive, distinctive, peppery tasting, green. Originating in the Mediterranean region, Arugula is a versatile green which is also known as ruscola, salad rocket, or Italian Cress. Arugula was used in ancient times as a medicinal herb and aphrodisiac. This wonderful leafy green is popular throughout top restaurant cuisines and is grown and eaten all around the world.
Arugula has gained its popularity not only from its great taste, but also its health benefits. Arugula is said to be high in fiber, phytochemicals, low in sugar, calories, carbohydrates, and fats all while being high in general nutrients. These nutrients include calcium, potassium, folate, vitamin C, and vitamin A. So when you’re in search of something to fill your plate with, that serves a solid punch minus the second-guessing on ‘is this diet friendly’, think Arugula! The next time you are in the supermarket pick up some arugula, and if you’re short on time or in a pinch they even sell it pre-washed for you. All these wonderful characteristics of Arugula aside, it can sometimes take getting accustomed to the taste. Worry not, this recipe will have your taste buds going wild!
- 8 ounces fusilli or bowtie pasta (regular, whole grain or gluten-free will work)
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Lot of freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces crumbled feta or sub goat cheese (about ¾ cup)
- 2 large ripe peaches, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup raw corn off the cob (or you can use thawed frozen corn or canned)
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces baby arugula (about 6 packed cups of arugula)
- Optional but a delicious add-in: add salami and sliced avocado to this for a salty and
- creamy texture to pair with juicy peaches and flavorful feta. YUM.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a little salt. Once the water boils, add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7-9 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving a few tablespoons of water for later. Place pasta in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes until well combined. Pour the dressing over warm pasta and add a little reserved pasta water to help keep the pasta moist and non-sticky. Immediately add feta and gently give the pasta a toss. Next add in the peach slices, cherry tomatoes, corn, red onion and arugula. Toss to combine. Taste and add more olive oil, lemon juice, salt and/or pepper, if necessary. Great warm or cold.
Last Modified January 21, 2021