The Scarsdale Public Library welcomes tutors and students and recognizes the benefit for students and parents of permitting tutoring within the Library.
The following policies and guidelines are intended to provide a balance between the use of the Library by tutors and their students, and the use of the Library by other members of the community engaged in activities associated with the services and programs offered by the Library:
- Either the student or the tutor must be a Scarsdale Public Library card holder.
- Tutors are not endorsed by the Library.
- Tutors are responsible for the behavior of their students while in the Library and as such, tutors and their students are expected to fully comply with the Code of Conduct Policy. Tutoring sessions are expected to be kept quiet in order to not interfere with other patrons' use of the Library. The Library reserves the right to ask a tutor to stop the tutoring session if it is disruptive to the functioning of the Library.
- When tutoring students under the age of 10, tutors are responsible for waiting with the student after the session ends until the student’s parent or caregiver arrives.
- Tutoring may only take place in the following designated spaces provided the requested space is not needed for a Library-sponsored program or activity:
- Main Reading Area
- Study Rooms 1-3
- Tutors/students may reserve and use study rooms under the same procedures and rules outlined in the Study Room Policy.
Non-reservable designated spaces are made available at the discretion of the Library staff.
The Library reserves the right to further restrict tutoring or to change this policy without prior notice in the event that this service unduly interferes with regular use of the Library.
Approved by the Scarsdale Board of Trustees June 14, 2021